3.25.2011

Decorating Our Living Room



I haven't done much to the living room since moving in...




I have an almost clean slate for decorating our living room.
There are of course, things I can change and things I can't due to finances.

We will:

paint the walls a cream
paint trim to white
possibly change the sofa & loveseat fabric
move the tv cabinet away from fireplace 
replace green blinds with neutral roman shades
cream drapes will go on double door

Will not:

change carpet for at least 5 years
lamps



Painting the walls will be easy, but as much as I want white trim, it's a lot of work since we'd need to go into adjoining rooms, which yes, I want ALL trim to be white, but the thought of painting it all is overwhelming!

The pattern on the sofa & loveseat is limiting. I cannot change to the colors I want easily without changing this furniture with either slipcovers or just buying new.  No, I'm making slipcovers or re-upholstering. Furniture prices are really low so I'll buy - just a better choice - so it lasts with my changing decor tastes.



The stripe pattern on this chair works well and is neutral enough to change colors. The pillows are new and I think they work with the chair, but I need to pull out the blue more around the room - not there yet! I can lean towards grey since its in the chair and pillows. Not sure grey would work with the stone wall.






A large Herman Miller clock will hang over fireplace and we'll get a mantel, too.
TV cabinet is there because that's where the cable is. We can change it to
the corner to the right of cabinet - about 4 feet.

There's so much to do, but I'm trying to decide on colors - mainly new sofas. They need to be on the darker side - I'm thinking a demin or darker blue; a pattern to hide dirt. Think: kids & dog. I love what we have now - the sofas are sturdy, dark & patterned to hide dirt. They'd be fine if they didn't have the red flowers!



I also need to arrange the furniture so the seating is better. The room is long with the fireplace NOT centered  - why, oh, why did they do that? See in the top photo with the loveseat - there is no table and no lighting. We can put in an overhead light since there is a fixture there, maybe a can or track to add contemporary feel.

I'd like to add a touch of contemporary to this room, lighter colors (cream, blues, grey?)

So what would you do? Colors? Seating arrangement?

Other ideas?
post signature

3 comments:

A Delightful Design said...

I have thoughts. I'll be back after kiddos lunch to throw them out there! :-)

Cindy Riddle said...

I'm excited to see your progress. I've been working on my livingroom too. I am starting to think about accessories. That is really not my strength. Finding something I will move every week to dust with out just throwing it away is a challenge for me.

Cindy Riddle said...

I'm excited to see your progress. I've been working on my livingroom too. I am starting to think about accessories. That is really not my strength. Finding something I will move every week to dust with out just throwing it away is a challenge for me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...