5.23.2011

Flower Bed Re-do!


There is nothing more pleasing to the eye than new flowers!


About a month ago we removed old, overgrown and half dead Arborvitae bushes as seen in the post,




We planted my desired perennials: Blue Hydrangeas, as above,

Bleeding Hearts:



A Japanese   - - - -



anyone know the name?
It has a pretty scent, too.






And White Azalea:



Either I had low energy or I just forgot how grueling it is to plant!

As you see opted for river rock stone instead of mulch. We only have to place it once and its good for years, unlike mulch; also, we feel it's a better border for around the house.

So we went from this:





To this:





Are you re-planting your flower beds this year?
Which flowers are you using?



post signature

3 comments:

RoryBore said...

Love it! I don't know the name of that Japanese Tree...kind of looks like my honeysuckle. Do the bees love it?

Just finished re-doing my own beds. We have terrible clay soil here, so each year I have to add a mix of good ole black earth/compost, some sand, some peat moss so that anything will grow. On top of that, I have 2 huge trees that cast shade almost the entire day over the beds, so I have to pick stuff that will grow in only 3-4 hours of sun.

Basically I have spent the last couple of years either relocating, or completely ripping out anything not suitable. Love all the pretty colored flowers out there - but most need at least 6 hours of sun. So I choose quite a few non-flowering things like hostas, ferns, grasses - that have colored foliage instead. Throw in some native plants like lungwort, Canadian Wild Ginger, trilliums, and wild bleeding heart. Imaptiens and pansies pretty much grow anywhere, and coral bells come with different colored foliage (also changes in fall), plus will bloom in part shade. For height I have astillbe and bee balm and they seem to do be doing pretty good.
I get a bit more sun in the front of the house, so all the pretty colors reside there.

Ronda said...

Hi I am coming to you from the Wow Us Wednesday party. I also just planted the Japanese Pieris shrub. Excited to see it in action. Your flower bed looks great.

KK said...

I am in love with your rocks! I think flowers and rocks look fabulous together. Good idea re: not having to replace mulch. I have used the little river rocks for a path with larger ones as the edging. Your place is looking great.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...