5.01.2011

Homemade Baby Wipes

Well, I jumped on the bandwagon of making disposable baby wipes. In this house we all use them so the amount of chemicals and the waste has bothered me for a long time. I'm trying to move away from as many chemicals as possible and make our house more green.







Many of you may already be familiar with making your own wipes and I'd love feedback on your tried and true recipes. After several google searches, I found one thing in common - that there seemed to be a lot of water! And thus, everyone ended up with the problem of the paper towels falling apart. I decided to use less water.

Here is my recipe:

1 roll paper towels cut in half
1 cup water
1 teaspoon baby wash
1 teaspoon essential oil



So for each tub (1/2 roll towels) I'm using 1/2 the water. I hope this will work and solve the paper-falling-apart issue! Others have said to use strong towels, like Bounty or Viva. I'm trying recycled paper towels first. I've found a good fairly strong recycled brand so we'll see if this works.


If this doesn't work and the towels still rip easily, we'll go to the other method of  keeping a spray bottle and wetting the towels as needed.  At least for now, I'm thrilled to save the money and eliminate more chemicals from our house and bodies!
  
Have you tried making your own wipes? What have the results been?

post signature

4 comments:

Valerie said...

I didn't even know that was possible! I hope you post the results when you get to the *bottom* of it. Pun intended. :) I'll have 2 in diapers soon so if this really saves money.....

Dee said...

This is a smart idea! I hope it works out for you.

Dee

Nan said...

So about a week later and all is good. They did not fall apart into mush! They are a tad dry so I will increase the water about an 1/8 - 1/4 cup and see what happens.

ImaYaYa said...

I've decided to give this a 2nd try.. the first attempt ended with lots of paper particles flying all over the house.. and moldy wipes after a few days..
I may try the 2nd set of "wipes" with less water.. my wipes are floating and I only used half the batch mixed up..
Here's hoping it all works. Someone did suggest keeping the wipes in the fridge.. can you imagine the shock of putting that on a baby's bum? LOL

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...