5.21.2011

Healthy Blueberry Waffle Recipe!

I don't normally post recipes and told myself I would not stray too far from children's decor ideas; however, I HAD to share this recipe with you! In our quest for a healthier lifestyle, including organics, I've stopped buying pre-made waffle and pancake mixes. The natural and organic ones are expensive and it's something we can certainly make from scratch at home.


(sorry there's only one, but we had devoured them all before I got the camera!)

Healthy, Fluffy & Crispy!

2 eggs
1 3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 cup white flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup ground flax seed
1 TBsp white sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup blueberries

Beat eggs, then add milk and applesauce. Combine all dry ingredients and add to mixture. Add vanilla.
Lastly, add in blueberries. Batter will start rising so don't worry if it looks too thick. Cook until just golden brown and crisp on the outside. Check before your "ready" light comes on, I pulled all mine off the waffle maker before the light was on.

And before you drench these in tons of butter and commercial high fructose corn syrup "maple" syrup, skip the butter and use real maple syrup. There is so much naturally great flavors in these it'd be a shame to cover it up.

You could also add 1 tsp cinnamon; use all whole wheat flour; use apples instead of blueberries. And the next time I'm going to try omitting the sugar or replacing with xylitol. These are fluffy - as said from my hub, the "King of Fluffy" but if you want more fluff, add another tsp of baking powder.


Enjoy!

post signature

2 comments:

Jeannette - Crafty Hippo Designs said...

Those sound amazing! Thanks for sharing.

I do have one word of caution though... if you've never had flax seed before you should take it easy and eat one to begin with. The first time I used it I ate 3 pancakes and OOOO I had to go to the bathroom right then! lol It's not a bad thing, but it was a shock! Some people, not all, have that reaction to flax seed. :0)

Nan said...

Jeanette! LOL - I've never had that problem but thanks for the warning for others! I put flax seed in several baking things - I like the subtle crunchy texture it gives.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...