9.15.2011

5 Tips For Putting Your Child To Bed With Love

I'm so happy to introduce you to Rosann from Christian Super Mom! When I came across her blog about a month ago, it was so uplifting, inspiring and realistic. She also had written a post on putting your kids to bed.....with love. That's the key. Our bedtime tends to fall apart as much as I try to keep it calm. So Rosann agreed to offer 5 great tips as my guest blogger today! After you read, please go give her some comment love!

Here's Rosann:



Children are a huge blessing from God.  Between their sweet smiles, innocent eyes, precious hugs, boundless energy, and insatiable desire to explore and learn, it's easy to love them so much.  But we all know how temperamental and exasperating children can be when they haven't had enough sleep. The problem is, it's not always such an easy task to get them into bed and asleep for the night.

Here are 5 Tips For Putting Your Kids To Bed With Love:

1.  Start a bath or shower soon after dinner.  Allow plenty of time for the children to play and unwind in the warmth of the water.   A nice warm bath is relaxing to the body and mind, not just for grown-ups but for children too.  Plus it will help them fall asleep more easily when their head hits the pillow.
     
2.  Make brushing and flossing teeth FUN.  We sing our own homemade brushing song to the tune of Jingle Bells.  Correction - I sing while my children brush.  (It's actually been a tradition since the very first time I put a toothbrush into their mouth.)  The children love to brush to a tune and it keeps them brushing until the song is over, which is an added bonus.  Cleaner teeth!
 
3.  One last potty break.  To avoid bedtime stall tactics or having your child get out of bed five minutes after you've said goodnight, announce one final potty break and make sure they actually try to go.  We can't control when our child has to go to the bathroom, but we can help prevent interruptions to sleep or middle of the night accidents by having them try to go before bed.

4.  Start a family reading tradition.  Allow each child to pick a book of their choice and snuggle up together as a family to read bedtime stories.  I've been pleasantly surprised at how well the Berenstain Bears books go over for our girls.  Each book teaches a life lesson in a way children can relate.  Reading a family devotional before bed is also a great option for teaching about God and living a Christian lifestyle.

5.  Establish a special way to say goodnight.   Encourage bedtime prayers.  Then blow kisses on the way out the door.  Pretend the stuffed animals can talk and are there to help your child go to sleep.  Sing a song to your child.  (I started singing my own edited version of You Are My Sunshine to my girls and they've come to love hearing me sing to them.)  It doesn't matter what you do, just find something uniquely special to you and your child.
Now you can get your much needed mommy time, or some extra Zzzzz's.  

Author Bio: 
Rosann is currently residing in Western Pennsylvania with her husband, Mark, and their daughters, Faith and Abigail.  After spending more than 15 years working in the auto finance industry, she now enjoys life as a stay-at-home mom.  Writing for her blog ChristianSuperMom, Rosann has a strong desire to glorify God while sharing the heart of her journey through a life of faith.

Thank you Rosann!

Rosann also has a shop full of Christian books, clothing and accessories HERE.

Do you have bedtime traditions? Please share - we moms need all the help we can get!

Did you find these 5 tips helpful? Please click the stumble button below and check out a humorous look at parenting!


post signature

11 comments:

Kathy said...

I always love it when my voiceBoks friends team up!! Rosann's tips are great. As my kids have gotten a little older we do more of a shower shuffle and getting everyone ready for thier own bedtime. I miss the kids in the tub,the floods on the floor and wet toddlers running around the house! Great post! Thanks Nan for having such a great guest poster in Rosann! Love to you both!

Rosann said...

Kathy, I'm so glad you liked the tips I offered. There is something totally unforgettable about the giggling wet toddlers running around the house after bath time. As much as it can be frustrating at times when you're trying to get everyone settled down and into bed, it also can be a truly blessed moment of bliss if we allow ourselves to just laugh with them. :)

Blessings,
Rosann

Rosann said...

Nan, thank you so much for having me guest post for you. I'm so happy to have connected with you through voiceboks and to find out we live so close to each other! :)

Blessings,
Rosann

Nan @ Playful Decor said...

Rosann, Thank you for this great list! Bedtime can be a challenge, but staying focused on these tips will help us CALMLY (hopefully!) kiss our kids good night!

Kathy, as always, thank you for your wonderful heart-felt comments!

Shannon Milholland said...

Thanks for hosting our sweet friend, Rosann. I love this bedtime post. My dear husband took over this duty for me a couple of years back and made it better than I ever did. He prays over each daughter, reads them stories and leaves them at peace so sleep comes quickly. :)

Rosann said...

Shannon, I think it's so unbelievably sweet that your husband does that for your daughters. Your daughters will cherish those precious moments and memories of time spent with their dad for years to come. And what a wonderful mommy break for you! :)

Blessings,
Rosann

Jenny said...

Bedtime is a special time & my kids always remind me if we leave part of the bedtime routine out. I think it is comforting to them & makes them feel safe right before they go to bed.

Kristy said...

These are great tips. I am already doing some of them but I may just incorporate the others. :)

Mommy LaDy Club said...

Rosann always has great tips and posts. I love reading her blog. So nice to find her here with you Nan!

My husband has a great sense of humor, and would always make up bedtime stories for his girls that they loved to hear. So, bedtime was a real treat for them. As an example,"The Care Bears meet the Hog Ridin' Fools". He would have the girls fill in which Bear as the protagonist, and one of the Hog Ridin' Fools would pick him up, and blow his nose on him. Makes me giggle still, and he had so many like that.

Rosann said...

Courtney, you are too sweet! Your hubby sounds like he was a very cool and fun daddy during the bedtime routine! :)

Blessings,
Rosann

Nan @ Playful Decor said...

Courtney - that's too funny!
Jenny & Kristy - Thank you for coming by! We always read stories & tuck-ins and not that we forget, but if they want another hug or kiss they say we forgot! Now, I know I have senior moments, but I do remember the hug & kiss!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...