6.21.2011

New Windows In My World!

(siding will be yellow or gray)

Well, we finally have new windows! We did half this year and will do the rest next year. No, not so glamorous like new lighting or furniture. But I can't tell you the satisfaction of going from old dark, sticky, drafty wood windows to new whites!




size of old window







If you are decorating a room, sometimes you have to change the bones of the
house - something we'll be doing a lot of in the coming years!





We did hire out this job with Window World as it's much easier and cheaper to
do replacements than windows with casings; we were impressed with
the quality, too.





 We were also increasing the height of a few windows as well as doubling
them, which meant we'd be cutting out the walls to increase the size.




Just by this change, the rooms are brighter already!


We had short windows in the upstairs rooms. This drove me nuts as I couldn't see much when I walked into the rooms. Not until I had my nose at the sill could I see the ground. Nothing like making me feel shorter than I am!  


Yowsa......

I am NOT responsible for these walls!
Where's the gray primer?




Living room


Replacement windows fit tightly inside the existing windows.






The 2 photos above were taken around 8am! Do you see how dark it is?
A fast approaching storm made it look like night time and forcing us to
 re-schedule the rest of the installation.




Ahhh.... they look so much better! The white is so clean and neat looking!

And this is it for house-bones projects for this year. From here on I'll be
 painting, painting, painting....

Are you working on any 'boney' projects? Summertime is the time!


post signature

10 comments:

InMyOwnStyle said...

HI Nan-

I am a big window loving girl. Anyway to bring more of the outside in. Happy painting!!

My best- Diane

dee dee said...

Nan,
I love your new windows! Windows have been going in our new place too! What a huge difference to go from brown to white and from smaller to bigger! Excellent job!
Dee Dee

Ms Bibi said...

I know exactly what you mean about the windows. We bought older home few years back so after we replaced all the windows it was wonderful feeling. I love my new windows.

Right now I am working on landscaping the entire yard and painting porches, building fence and then gutter before fall comes.

Helen's Decor said...

Hi Nan! Your windows look wonderful I know if we live in a home long enough we get the joy(?) of rebuilding it, little by little! I love the difference a double window makes. Thanks for sharing your updated look. I'm a new follower and would love to have you drop over for a visit. Thanks!
Helen of Helen's Decor

Alexis of NorthOnHarper said...

I love new windows!! They give a home such a facelift... plus all the other lovely benefits. You should be excited about them!

Jenni said...

Hello Nan~

I love, LOVE, love your new windows! They look amazing! It looks like they have a scrolly design on them on the top of some of them~ it's gorgeous! :) I love that you changed the height and width of the small windows, too. I am so happy for you! :)

And I completely understand how wonderful it is to get new windows! We have finally replaced most of ours now, and it does make such a difference, inside and out! The ones we had before were so ugly, and if you stood by them, you felt the cold seep through them!

I have heard about Window World, and need to check out whether they have french doors. We have to replace our old slider this year. It sounds like you were happy with their windows and installation. :)

I hope you have a great rest of your weekend!

Blessings,
Jenni

P.S. I love your blog! :)

Kim@Chattafabulous said...

So great to find your blog through Abby's. I'm currently renovating a 1970's French Provincial ranch! Yikes! I have restored over a dozen historic homes and I am completely in love with the whole process. Your windows are great -we have replacements on order now and we've enlarged some too. Great minds..

Herb said...

Good choice, Nan! The versatility of single/double hung windows provides for a wide range of ventilation options, but the benefits don't stop there. You can clean the outsides of upper storey windows from the inside, eliminating the need for ladders, scaffolding, or long-handled tools. These are designed for ease of replacement in the event of breakage.

Herb Koguchi

Keaton Oakes said...

How many windows do you have in your house? What’s taking you so long to install it? Anyway, white also makes your windows look bigger. Good choice!

-Keaton Oakes

Willene Fagen said...

Your new windows look fabulous! It made your house brighter, airy, and more refreshing! By the way, how many windows did you have installed or changed?

-Willene Fagen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...