7.01.2012

I'm A Gardening Cheat!


Are you behind in your gardening this year?

Every year my answer is "Yes!"  Usually, the process went something like this:


1. Buy 3-4 flats of annuals after spending several hours shopping for the right mix of colors at the best price. (This, of course, is with kids - "No guys, not that one!" "Don't touch those!" "Bring the cart back here!" "Get down, you can't climb the racks!")

2. Let the flowers sit in on the porch for at least a month, glaring at them every time I walked by.

3. Start planting the half-dead flowers into the planter one by one, taking many breaks from the back-breaking work.

4. Continue to convince myself I DON'T need more potting soil even though I do.

5. Stop when I'm tired or it's too hot outside or after several muffled grunts of sarcasm and words-not-suitable-for-kids-ears, leaving half a flat to plant another time.

6. Swear I won't plant flowers next year and should do all perennials. Really, who needs flowers anyway - it's a lot of money and time and then they all die after a few months anyway! 

7. A few weeks later, toss the remaining flowers into the field.  


After doing the same thing each year I decided I'd cheat this year:

I'll call it the 8 in 8 plan -

Before.......



I whipped into Walmart and purchased 8 pots of pre-mixed flowers and was back in my car within 8 minutes. When I arrived home I put the pots into the planter, a little twist of a pot here and there and presto - DONE in 5 minutes!

After....


After I took this photo, I lowered the pots a bit by pulling the dirt in the planters aside so the pots could sit lower. I love this and will do it every year. It reduced time, effort and muffled words!

Did you do anything different this year with your gardening?
Tell us your quicky gardening tips! 


post signature

8 comments:

Michelle G said...

I'm sooooo not a gardener, so you get much farther than I ever do! I love that there's a planter in that little wall. That's so cool!

The Budget Diet said...

We just moved from Houston, Texas to West Palm Beach, FL, and I have the same attitude about gardening here...DON'T MESS WITH IT UNTIL OCTOBER! It's easier to grow things, and it's more fun to play in the dirt when it's not 100 degrees outside!

Jennifer Wolfe said...

In the central valley of CA where I live it gets HOT in the summer - so my trick is to spend April and May prepping and planting, mostly perennials. Then June is finishing up and watering, so I can enjoy the rest of the summer. Seems to work for me...

Becky Jane said...

You are my kind of gardener! I love the simple and beautiful. In our old house I had tons and tons of flower beds and loved caring for them, but I got older and wiser, and more tired...now that we're in our new home it's all about simple and beautiful...

Marilyn said...

Great idea! I have several perennials that need to be put in the ground, but it is too HOT! So I keep them watered for just the right moment--someday when it will NOT be 100 plus outside! Have a great holiday week.♥♫

ReviewsSheROTE Pamela R said...

I only filled half may veggie garden -because half of it died last year because I have only a green fingernail ;D

With my flowers I get a few at Mother's Day and thats all...all the rest are perennial plants.

I think your "cheat" looks lovely!!!

Claire Jennings said...

Given that my father is an organic farmer, I am ashamed to say I have a brown thumb. He seems to think that will change shortly though. I want to teach my daughter about gardens and where food comes from, and so will give it a try again. I might need to start with simple like what you are doing though.

Sharon @ mrshinesclass said...

I find myself repeating the same vicious cycle every year. I did do a little better this year though. I love your 8 in 8 plan! And the flowers are beautiful.

Sharon @ mrs. hines class

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...