11.29.2011

Kids Beach & Sea Bath Progress

I've been working on the kids' bathroom to create a beach and sea theme. First... I am NOT an artist, so please be kind in evaluating what you see! But, overall I think it will turn out ok.

Before from previous owners:

YOWSA!!





I primed it all and after looking at lots of ideas online, came up with my plan. I drew it out on paper - this process REALLY helped organize my ideas for what would go where. 
Then I started drawing it in pencil.... it's there, trust me!



I bought sample sized colors at Lowe's and used a plastic plate & cups for mixing a few colors. Yes, the boys did get into some paint but didn't do serious damage.




The beginnings of the sandcastle....






...of course, a work in progress!


 I had previously purchased the shower curtain and other decor items to know which colors to work with.



...and the rug....



What projects are you working on?

Don't forget Tuesday's Nursery link party on Dec. 6th.
First Tuesday every month to link up everything in kids decor at any age!

Linking to Met Monday,  Making the World Cuter, Nifty Thrifty Tuesday,  Today's Creative Blog, Cherished Bliss, Anything Goes, Sugar & Dots, Ivy & Elephants,  Power of Paint, Wow Us Wednesday,  Blue Cricket,  Thrifty Home,  Wicked Awesome Wednesday,  Simple Home Life,  Shabby Creek Cottage,   Flaunt It Friday,  Shabby Nest, Thirty Handmade Days,  Six Sisters' Stuff,  Tatertots & Jello,  My Romantic Home,  Finding Fabulous, Homemaker On A Dime,                   

post signature

13 comments:

LDH said...

Hi Nan!

That was some bathroom in the before photo :)

Looks like you are making a wonderful transformation. Fun stopping by to meet you.

Kindly, Lorraine

MiMi said...

The before shots...wowza is right. Scary almost.
But you are doing great!! That's going to be the cutest bathroom ever!!!!

sstone said...

I'm so impressed that you're drawing your own design. Lol, that is never happening for us.:) That is going to be a super cute bathroom.:)
Shiloh
everydaygameplan.net

Nan @ Playful Decor said...

L - I think the previous owners wanted to pretend they were outside. This bath was a field of flowers and our master was an outhouse! Find my master bath makeover post!

Mimi- Very scary - I always felt anxiety when looking at the walls - much more calming now!

SS - Believe me, I'm a horrible artist. BUT, I know that for drawing and painting its all about shadowing and layering different shades of the color. And when I was looking at other wall murals for ideas, they made the shovel overly large to throw off the true scale/sizing so you don't have to be totally accurate in the scale and shadows. Also, an artist friend said to draw it on paper and trace to the wall - well, I actually dismissed the idea until I was looking at ideas online and realized I needed to decide on which wall the sea would go and then the sandcastle would go over the toilet, and a big whale on the other wall, etc... even if it comes out somewhat recognizable I'll be happy - and my guys already love it!

Thank you for visiting ladies!

laura@imnotatrophywife.com said...

Hi Nan
This looks great! Good job!
laura@imnotatrophywife.com

Tracy @ Mama-press said...

Nan, it's looking goood! I like your sand castle and think it's awesome that you drew it yourself! It's fun to do the kids' bathroom...one can go a little wilder in there!

Nan @ Playful Decor said...

Hi Tracy, thank you! As I said I'm not an artist, just play one on tv!! LOL! But I'm trying to encourage everyone that if I can do it - anyone can!

Crafty Mischief said...

Hi Nan! Your bathroom looks great! I love the sandcastle! Thanks for the sweet comment on my page! I'll be back on Tuesday! :)

Jenny @ Simcoe Street said...

Looks great!!! Love the shower curtain.

Thanks for visiting! I won't have computer access on Tuesday so I will sadly miss the party. I'll check out some links later on in the week though.

Jenny
xo

Stacy Curran said...

Wow! I'm super impressed by your drawing - can't wait to see it finished!
Stacy

Little Moos and My Creative Pink. said...

That looks really good. I love the shower curtain too. Can't wait to see the finished room.

Mom Daughter Style said...

i was just thinking of having a princess shower curtain for my daughter. great job
http://momdaughterstyle.blogspot.com/

Camille said...

I am LOVING this idea! Your bathroom is going to be darling! I was dying at the before pics . . . wow!!! What a crazy look! Thanks for linking up to Strut Your Stuff Saturday! We hope that you will come back tomorrow and share more of you amazing ideas!
Camille @
SixSistersStuff

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...