6.04.2009

Hooked On Moving (not!)

My husband and I just went on a 24hr moving 'trip.' I was exhausted. We are both in-sync with eachother and follow the same path which is usually a good thing in a marriage, but can also be not so good. See if you can follow our trip...

Our discussion went like this: I'd like to decorate....we'd both like to reduce our mortgage and taxes...we'd both like to build up our savings....we should refinance...I don't want to pay closing costs on a refinance if we're not going to stay here long term....closing costs are ridiculously high...gosh, houses in our neighborhood are selling....we could sell the house and get a smaller one.....ok, what could we live without....would you be happy with a longer commute?....should I re-decorate to sell?....we have work that should be done to sell....I'd like to be on a lake...or closer to a big city....he'd like 20 acres....I'm ok with an older farm if its near a city....he could transfer job locations.....wow, we can move almost anywhere!

We go to lunch and pick up the real estate catalogs at the restaurant and scan them while eating. After kids go to bed, I spend the entire evening into the wee-hours looking at real estate online.

Do I really want to be waaaayyyy out in the country 20 miles from a Staples or Home Depot? I'm starting a biz, I need Staples. He needs Home Depot and Auto Zone. I really would prefer to be closer to a city. Oh, what about school systems - need to check into that.

A new house would need a screened porch, a big yard, character, a shed, lots of cupboards, a huge finished basement for the kids.

Oh, wait we have all that, except for the basement. I woke up thinking, "This house is ok. Yes, it's expensive, but we'll just need to work harder on our finances. I'm just not ready to pack up and move again. Moving here was our 4th move in 4 years. My husband said the same thing! We just aren't ready to jump into the whirlwind of moving!

Are you hooked on movingor not?

6 comments:

Things That Inspire said...

I have lived in the same house for 12 years, longer than I have ever lived anywhere in my whole life! I have felt the need to move for the past 10 years, and have felt like a temporary resident in my home for so long...always thinking about what would look good for resale, keeping neutral...there are so many projects I have gone ahead and done, even though I thought I would be moving, and here it is so many years later and I am still in my same house, and have enjoyed the upgrades tremendously.

So....I would say, I am definitely hooked on the thought of moving, but maybe not the reality!

Jenny said...

I have moved 3 times in my almost 30 years of life and that is plenty! We bought this house 4 years ago knowing that it will be our last.

Jamie said...

I am not hooked on moving! We just recently moved and it was the most exhausting experience! I don't want to do it ever again! And we only moved around the corner! I alway wonder how people are able to do a cross country move.

Daly Essentials said...

Moving can be exhausting, but definitely fun to fantasize about! I also like a "life change" every several years -- so whether it be a move, a new job, I like to make sure I'm having new experiences, making new friends..

Kristin said...

I'm so not hooked on moving. As you know, I'm making the 8th one in 16yrs of marriage this summer. I've yet to have a say in any of these moves(military). If it was my choice to build/move to my dream house(I've been designing it for years) I'm gonna suck it up one more time and go for it. I can't believe I've typed those words. Check back with me in two months. I'll be hooked up to the martini IV saying never ever ever again.

mannequin said...

No. We moved here two years ago to a cute little cape cod in a nice little neighborhood. Now we realize that this is NOT what we wanted, we wanted and still want something similar to what you want, I guess.

I'd love to live in a dark holler, surrounded by trees and no neighbors. At the end of this so called long, long driveway, there's a road leading to the mall.

We've started to look but not with zealousness, that's for sure.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...